Sunday, July 20, 2014

Prestwood variation

Some time ago I deconstructed the pattern on the back of one of my mother's antique chairs. You can see the story and the tangle Prestwood here.

Recently, out of necessity, I happened upon a lovely variation of this tangle. I had made the rolling zigzag too wide and the filler loop didn't fill, so I added another. You can see it in both the tiles I did for Zentangle's Zenth (10th!) anniversary here. I really liked the effect and wanted to explore it more. Black Pearlz seemed to work nicely in some of the larger areas.
Tangles: Black Pearlz, Knase, Paradox, Prestwood variation
Tangles: Black Pearlz, Prestwood variation
It's quite simple. Here's how to do this variation:
Generally I find I have space to add two inner 'rolls', but if your rolling zigzag is very wide you might need three.

The string on both these tiles is something called a "blind string" or "shut-eye string" - simply do the string with your eyes closed! It often yields some nice wobbly lines and really interesting shapes. Try it sometime!

6 comments:

  1. This looks like fun, Margaret! I'll have to try it out tonight :) thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Margaret!!! Brilliant! Prestwood is one of my top favorite tangles, it's one of my go to tangles for sure. Big hug for sharing this great variation. Patty M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the look of this one. That second tile fascinates me - just two simple tangles but such an interesting and pleasing composition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting sometimes how the simplest thing can have such variety and interest.

      Delete
  4. whoever runs this needs to teach me this rn this is super good

    ReplyDelete